What you’ll need:-
- Smoked salmon, sliced fairly thinly, with individual slices large enough to be formed into a small filled roll
- Potato and egg salad (see below)
- Lemon wedges to serve
- Chopped dill to garnish
- 800g new potatoes (or waxy salad potatoes)
- 2 cloves garlic, lightly crushed
- 2 tsp salt, for boiling the potatoes
- 4 eggs, hard-boiled
- 120g cream cheese, softened
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 3 tblsp lemon juice
- 30 drops tabasco
- 4 tblsp capers
- 8 spring onions, white and green parts finely sliced
- 100g celery, finely diced (2-4 sticks, depending on size)
- 4 tblsp finely chopped dill
- 1 tsp coarse salt or to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
Recipe Courtesy of www.thedailyspud.com : Click here for external link
- Scoop around 2 heaped tblsp of potato salad onto the centre of each slice of Kinvara Smoked Salmon and form into a roll.
- Garnished with chopped dill and serve with a lemon wedge.
- As many filled smoked salmon rolls as you have slices of Kinvara Smoked Salmon.
All you need to do is just wrap your slices of Kinvara Smoked Salmon around a dollop of potato salad, serve with a wedge of lemon and some dill and you’re done. Just eat and enjoy!
The amount of filling you can add to a slice of salmon will naturally depend on the size of the slices you have. Slices of Kinvara Smoked Salmon are around 15cm long and between 5cm and 8cm wide and I filled them with 2 heaped tablespoons of the salad. Adjust according to the size of slices you have.
Perfect to serve a couple of these as a starter or even for lunch. Why not have two or three of these with an additional helping of the salad on the side, along with some brown soda bread.
The Potato and Egg Salad
This is really a fairly classic potato salad, though it does use cream cheese in place of the usual mayonnaise and generally involves lots of things that are happy, not just in the company of potatoes, but in the company of smoked salmon too.
- Scrub the potatoes and halve or quarter any larger potatoes so that you have roughly even-sized pieces, then bring about 1.5l of water to the boil in a saucepan, add about 2 tsp salt, the pieces of crushed garlic and the potatoes.
- Bring the potatoes back to the boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer gently, covered, for around 15-20 minutes or until just fork-tender, then drain well, return them to the saucepan and allow them to cool, covered by a tea-towel.
- Once cool enough to handle, peel the potatoesor not as you prefer, and chop into approx. 0.5cm chunks.
- In a large bowl, mash together the hard-boiled eggs, cream cheese, mustard, lemon juice,tabasco and capers.
- Stir in the chopped potato, spring onions, celeryand dill. Add salt and black pepper to taste and more tabasco if you like.
- You could certainly replace some or all of the spring onions with chives or add some horseradish for a bit of extra bite.
- Salad servings for 4-6 or enough to fill around 25 to 30 slices of Kinvara Smoked Salmon as above.